Peloton bikes are built in a powerful and durable way that ensures maximum comfort while providing optimal performance. In fact, this bike is designed to deliver a near-silent experience. However, it contains lots of moving pieces, which may make the peloton making clicking noise when pedaling or after the ride.
This can be quite annoying as well as unbearable, especially when you are engrossed in exercise, as the sound can be creepy. If you are also in a situation like this, you must be thinking, how do I fix peloton clicking noise on my Peloton bike?
Well, there are several ways to fix this, and we have brought some of the most common fixes for you in this guide. So, to know in detail, let’s dive in.
Why Is My Peloton Making Clicking Noise?
There are several reasons why Peloton making a clicking sound. And before you move to fix the peloton clicking noise, you need to identify the reason behind it. So, let’s take a look at the reasons why peloton making clicking noise?.
1. Wrong Positioning Of The Bike
The first reason in our list for causing clicking noise to the peloton bike is its wrong positioning. If the bike doesn’t sit evenly on the floor, then due to misplacement and tapping up and down on the floor, it may cause noise.
2. Wear And Tear Of Parts
If you have been using your Peloton bike for a long time, normally some of its basic parts may be worn out or damaged. For example, repeated blows to uneven surfaces can damage the wheels of your bike and cause the peloton wheel clicking.
Other than that, your peloton bike can also make a clicking noise if it lacks lubrication.
3. Loose Or Broken Parts
It is one of the most common reasons for peloton bikes to make constant noise. Cycling for a longer time or pedaling at high speeds can sometimes cause some parts of the bike to lose some parts, especially pedals and stabilizers.
Another common area that can get loosened due to repeated assemblies and disassembles is the flywheel axle. Apart from these, when the bike’s cleats get loosened, and you still keep riding the bike, it can cause a clicking noise when pedaling.
4. Bad Bearings
Peloton bike’s bad bearings can make grinding/rubbing noise. Initially, you may hear a clicking noise, but gradually it will start making loud noises instead of clicking.
5. Imbalance Flywheel
The flywheel of the Peloton bike has to withstand extreme pressure and weight. When this flywheel loses its balance, you can notice that some parts of it start to move more than others, and the imbalance of it leads the peloton making clicking noise during your workout.
Read more: 7 Best Water Bottle for Peloton in 2022
How Do I Fix A Clicking Noise On My Peloton Bike? [Top 6 Method]
So, now that you know the reasons for the clicking noise of the Peloton bike, it’s time to know the possible solutions to fix them. So, if you are wondering, how do I fix the peloton clicking noise on my bike, here are the fixes.
Method 1: Ensure All The Feet Of Your Bike Are Level
The first thing you need to make sure of is that all the bottom parts of the Peloton bike are on the floor. If you want, you can put it on the carpet instead of directly on the floor. After placing the bike, gently stir it a little to check if it is moving anymore.
Method 2: Tighten Loose Parts
The second most important thing is to check all the nuts and bolts, which helps secure the flywheel. If you find any loose nut or bolt, make sure to tighten them immediately. Remember, no parts can’t be loose as well as you can’t tighten them too much.
If the pedals’ cleats are not tight enough, it will make the peloton pedal clicking. However, you can easily diagnose this problem, and that is when you see that the shoes are loose, and not comfortable. Fixing this issue is really straightforward. You just need to tighten the peloton cleats using the following ways-
Check more information on peloton shoes: Do You Need Special Shoes For Peloton Bike?
- First, locate the 3-screw holes at the bottom of your peloton shoes.
- Then, place the cleats over the holes.
- Now, tighten the screws by using a 4 mm hex key.
- Lastly, ensure that the cleats are aligned accurately, and are placed straight.
One thing to keep in mind is that the screws may loosen again over time, and as a result, the cleats will get loosen.
And whenever it happens, you can notice the sound coming from the cleats. So, to get a quieter ride, you need to check and if required tighten the cleats once a month at least.
Method 3: Use Lubrication
You should use lubrication if the cause of the peloton clicking sound is a loose part or damaged axis. In this case, using a lube spray, you need to apply a lot of oil on the worn area.
This will prevent these parts from getting too tight and wearing out too quickly. Remember one thing, always ensure to read if there are any instructions in the lube spray before you apply anything.
Method 4: Replace Damaged Flywheel
If you hear the sound from the flywheel area, then you have no other choice than to replace it. Fortunately, you will find the replacement parts on Peloton’s website. However, before ordering replacement parts, you can check the local hardware store, if you don’t want to wait for the shipment.
On the other hand, If the flywheel is defective, and you want to replace it yourself, in that case, using a hammer, you can tap the end of the flywheel. This way, you can make the edge lose enough for you to pull it off.
Method 5: Replace The Crank Arms
If the peloton bike’s pedal is broken at the post, first, you must deal with the crank arm. This is because the paddle post’s broken piece still remains on the crank arm, and it’s not possible for you to remove the broken part just using a wrench.
Therefore, you should focus on getting the broken post out of the crank arm to avoid the peloton crank arm noise by following the below steps-
- First, remove the belt guard on the outside of the Peloton wheel using a screwdriver.
- Remove the three screws on the opposite side.
- Then, with the help of the 8 mm Allen key, remove the bolt inside the crank arm.
- Lastly, use a crank puller to remove the crank arm, and then you can easily extract the broken post.
- Finally, once all the above things are done, simply screw the new pedals in.
Method 6: Change The Ball Bearings
So, if the peloton bike causes noise due to bad bearing, you can fix this issue by simply changing the ball bearings of the bike. To do this, you need to-
- As we mentioned earlier, remove the crank arm exactly like this.
- Then with the help of a screwdriver, remove the front belt car.
- Using a 4-mm Allen key, unscrew the sensor screw and wire.
- Remove the bolts from either side of the flywheel.
- Separate the flywheel from the frame of your bike.
- Remove the hub and bearing screws using a 5-mm Allen key.
- Lastly, replace the old bearings with the new ones.
Do Peloton Bikes Need Maintenance?
If you want to make the most out of your Peloton bike for a longer time and ensure keeping it in top shape, you must do proper maintenance. We are not talking about day-to-day maintenance, you can take a check now and then just to make sure everything is in order. Keeping this in mind, let’s move forward to the next section.
How to Avoid Getting the Clicking Noise on Your Peloton Bike?
The best part is, with a little bit of maintenance, you can avoid the peloton bike making noise when pedaling or getting the clicking noise. You just need to keep the following things in your mind while maintaining the peloton bike.
- You need to tighten your peloton’s cleats, pedals, and seat at least once a month.
- When adjusting the touchscreen, be very careful not to scratch it.
- Put the Peloton in sleep mode after the exercise session is done, and turn it off when you don’t use it.
- Make sure to clean the bike at least once a week.
- Lubricate the dry and hard-to-move parts to get a good result.
- Attach the handlebar pad securely otherwise, do not ride at high speeds as the pad may fall off if it is not connected properly.
- You should never put too much pressure on the handlebars, this can make the parts loosen.
- Always use the recommended resistance settings for your workout.
- Inspect the flywheel frequently for cracks and damage. If you find anything wrong, you must notify Peloton Customer Support immediately.
One thing you should always keep in mind is that you need to regularly maintain your Peloton bike and also look out carefully if any of its parts are loose.
Make sure everything stays tight, clean, and if you find any broken part or a continuous sound coming from the bike, simply reach out to the peloton support center including a short video of noise. Then, they will take care of the rest.
So, we are done with this guide. Hopefully, you have got the answer for how do I fix a clicking noise on my Peloton bike? So, follow the above fixes and maintain your peloton bike in a good condition. Good luck!